Sunday, February 13, 2011

January, I had a break but February is twice as good \m/


The February 2011 artist of the month, Peter Beste is a photographer from Texas, now situated in New York City. As someone who seems to be passionate about music, he's documented various scenes such as his well know work on the Huston Rap scene and The Black Metal scene in Norway (a subject after my own heart).

I have quite a great deal or respect for the way Beste goes about capturing his subject. With the example of his work on the black metal scene, he spent over 7 months in Norway living alongside his subjects. He wanted to truly encompass what black metal was, not only through the stereotyped images of corpse paint and dark forests, but how it blends into everyday life there as well. He's managed to capture some of the most beautiful and haunting images I've ever seen while also illuminating the beauty of Norway in contrast. This is a pretty sincere complement considering my taste in photography tends to be few and far between.

He stated in an interview: "I think it's important to show the different sides of these people, because they obviously aren't all bad and satanists. Black metal is far more complex than that, and so are my subjects."

If you want to see more, check out:
http://www.peterbeste.com/home/
http://bestephoto.tumblr.com/

No comments: